Once ChatGPT was launched, it became popular all over the world, and the GPT-3 language model on which its functions are based has also received widespread attention. This article will introduce the definition, function, development history, and price of Open AI’s GPT model in detail.
What is the GPT Model?
The GPT (Generative Pretrained Transformer) series of models are a series of natural language processing models developed by OpenAI. They use a Transformer-based deep learning architecture to pre-train large-scale corpora in an unsupervised manner and then perform fine-tuning and other methods. Training for downstream tasks.
Features of the GPT Model
- Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- Dialogue and Q&A features
- Text and multimedia content generation
- Text and graph data analysis
The Development History of The GPT Model
- GPT-1: GPT-1 is the first model of the GPT series, which was released in 2018. GPT-1 uses a Transformer-based deep learning architecture and is pre-trained with a large-scale Internet text corpus. GPT-1 has achieved a high language understanding ability and can be fine-tuned on a variety of downstream tasks, such as text generation, text classification, question answering, etc.
- GPT-2: GPT-2 is the second model of the GPT series and it was released in 2019. Compared with GPT-1, GPT-2 is superior in language understanding ability and generation quality, while also generating longer text. The size of the pre-training corpus of GPT-2 is 10 times that of GPT-1, and it uses more training techniques and optimization strategies.
- GPT-3: GPT-3 is the third model of the GPT series and it was released in 2020. The size of the pre-training corpus of GPT-3 is 10 times that of GPT-2, reaching 175 billion tags, and it also uses a more advanced model structure and training techniques. GPT-3 not only surpasses GPT-1 and GPT-2 in terms of language understanding and generation capabilities but also can perform tasks similar to computer programs, such as arithmetic operations, text editing, etc.
- GPT-3.5: On March 15, 2022, a new version of GPT-3 and Codex with editing and inserting functions were added to the API of OpenAI playground, named “text-DaVinci-003” and “code-DaVinci-002”. These models are more powerful than previous versions and were trained on data up to June 2021. A representative product based on GPT-3.5 is ChatGPT. On November 30, 2022, OpenAI began referring to these models as the “GPT-3.5” series.
- GPT-4: GPT-4 is a neural network language model created by OpenAI but has not been released yet. Rumored to arrive in 2023, it is considered superior to OpenAI’s previously released GPT-3 and GPT-3.5, according to the New York Times.
The Price of The GPT Model
Starting from the GPT-3 model, OpenAI began to provide commercial services. GPT-3.5-Turbo costs $0.002 per 1,000 tokens. Tokens refer to the sequence of messages with metadata used by the language model. According to OpenAI’s official statement, You can think of tokens as pieces of words, where 1,000 tokens are about 750 words. ($0.002=1000tokens=750 words)
In general, the GPT series models perform very well in the field of natural language processing and have become one of the standard models for many downstream tasks. At the same time, the GPT series models have also had an important impact on the research of language models and deep learning models. You can click ChatGPT login to register an account to experience the powerful functions of the GPT-3.5 series models for yourself.